Spousal Open Work Permits

Spouses and common-law partners of foreign nationals authorized to work in Canada in certain managerial, executive or professional highly skilled occupations may be eligible for spousal work permits.

These work permit applications may be made alongside the principal application for a work permit.

In some cases, your spouse or common-law partner may be able to apply for an open work permit – allowing him or her to accept any job with any employer. In others, your spouse or common-law partner must apply for a work permit for a specific employer. The employer may have to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). An LMIA allows an employer to hire someone for a specific job.

Contact us to find out if your spouse or common-law partner’s employer needs an LMIA to hire them.

Pin It on Pinterest