A temporary public policy that was established to facilitate the issuance of open work permits to current or former Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP) is in effect only until Tuesday, July 27, 2021.
Under this policy, eligible current and former PGWP holders, including those who changed their status or fell out of status can apply online for an open work permit in Canada, for a period up to 18 months or until the expiry of the applicant’s passport, whichever is shorter.
To be eligible for this open work permit, a foreign national must make the application from within Canada, and request consideration under this policy. Clear evidence must be submitted that they meet all of the following criteria below:
- The applicant holds a valid PGWP that expires within 4 months of the date she or he submitted the application or held a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020
- The applicant was in Canada on January 27, 2021 and remained in Canada
- One of the following applies:
- The applicant holds valid temporary resident status
- The applicant lost temporary resident status, but submitted an application to restore status
- The applicant lost temporary resident status, but is eligible to restore it and an application is submitted to restore status at the same time as the application for the open work permit
This policy came into force on January 27, 2021, as the Canadian government recognized that PGWP holders may have lost their employment or had their hours reduced due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. All applications must be submitted by July 27, 2021.
If you are a current or former PGWP holder in Canada and would like to apply for an open work permit, please contact our office.