Your Permanent Resident Card

Your Permanent Card is proof of your Permanent Resident status.

You will need to carry this card with you whenever you leave Canada and plan to re-enter Canada. If you are a Permanent Resident you do not need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Please note that if your Permanent Resident Card expires you cannot fly into Canada on your passport and you can expect significant delays in your travel plans you do not have a valid Permanent Resident Card.

If your Permanent Resident card has expired, it does not mean that you are no longer a Permanent Resident. But, you will need to apply for a new card. When applying for a Permanent Resident card, you will need to provide information about all of your time away from Canada. We advise all clients to keep a record of this information to ensure a smooth renewal process. You will also need this information to demonstrate residency should you choose to apply for Canadian citizenship.

You may apply to renew your Permanent Resident card up to six months before it expires. Because card renewal applications take many months to process, we recommend you apply as soon as you are eligible.

Pin It on Pinterest