Aris Daghighian is a senior associate with Green and Spiegel LLP in Toronto. Aris’ practice focuses on appeals and litigation, as well as economic immigration applications, refugee claims, and issues surrounding citizenship. He regularly appears before the Federal Court for judicial reviews of negative determinations and stays of removal, as well as all divisions of the Immigration and Refugee Board for sponsorship appeals, refugee claims, criminal inadmissibility and other enforcement cases. Aris has also appeared at the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
In 2019, Aris was recognized by Who’s Who Legal (WWL) as a “Future Leader” under the age of 45 in Canadian Immigration Law. He was the only non-partner to be included on the list in Canada. In 2017, Aris was awarded the Canadian Bar Association (CBA) Founders’ Award for excellent achievement by a young lawyer. Most recently in 2020, Aris was the only Canadian immigration lawyer listed as a “Rising Star” by the Legal 500, which praised his talented handling of appeals and contentious matters.
Prior to joining Green and Spiegel, Aris worked for a well-respected immigration firm in Vancouver, as well as at the Minneapolis City Attorney’s Office. He completed his articles with the Refugee Law Office, a division of Legal Aid Ontario. In addition to his regular practice, Aris currently teaches with the University of British Columbia Immigration Laws and Policies Program (CILPP), and has been on the Duty Counsel roster for the Legal Services Society of B.C.
He has written papers and presented for numerous conferences, and is regularly interviewed as a subject matter expert by the media including the CBC and National Post.
- Called to the Ontario Bar, 2013
- Juris Doctor, University of Minnesota Law School, 2011
- B.A., Queen's University, 2008
Additional Languages Spoken
Farsi, Dari, and French
- Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers, Executive Member, Co-Chair Advocacy Committee, 2015-Present.
- University of British Columbia Immigration Laws, Policies, and Procedures Program, Instructor, 2014-Present.
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA) – National Litigation Coordinator, 2019 – Present. CBSA and Security Working Group, 2018-Present.
- “Future Leader” under the age of 45, Who’s Who Legal (WWL), 2019 and 2020
- Founders’ Award for exceptional young lawyer, Canadian Bar Association (CBA), 2017
- Advocacy Award, Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers (CARL), 2013
- "Rising Star 2020" Legal 500
Mar 27, 2020
Due to the exceptional and fluid circumstances arising from the COVID-19 pandemic, information will be updated as soon as possible. We direct you t...
Mar 20, 2020
The Government of Canada has now released its official Order in Council with respect to the COVID-19 travel measures. In addition to the informati...
Mar 16, 2020
Effective Wednesday, March 18th, the Prime Minister has announced entry to Canada will be barred for all travelers who are not Canadian citizens, p...
Sep 08, 2017
In June 2012, President Obama introduced the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in order protect children who had been brought t...
Aug 24, 2016
August 24, 2016 – Today the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) invited 750 candidates to apply for P...
Aug 10, 2016
August 10, 2016 – Today the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) invited 754 candidates to apply for Perman...
Apr 28, 2016
Starting November 10th, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada are expected to have an Electronic Travel Author...
Apr 02, 2019
Inside Immigration Webinar is a monthly 30 minute call featuring Green and Spiegel’s immigration lawyers covering a broad range of topics in ...
Jan 16, 2019
Sign up for our upcoming webinar on the Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program. This FREE information session will cover all the recent develop...
Mar 28, 2018
Inside Immigration features Green and Spiegel's immigration lawyers covering a broad range of topics in immigration law, including:
Jun 21, 2016
We are very proud to announce that Green and Spiegel LLP was chosen as a winner of Lexpert’s 2016 Zenith Awards: Celebrating Diversity a...
Jul 22, 2020
Lovers who are looking for creative, digital ways to settle down in or bring their significant others to Canada should be warned: Not all is fair ...
Dec 04, 2019
Increasingly, our office is encountering cases in which travelers or immigration applicants at the border have their cell phone, laptop, iPad or ot...
Jun 09, 2017
We would like to congratulate associate Aris Daghighian for winning this year’s CBA National Immigration Law Section Founders’ Award. T...
Feb 22, 2017
In the wake of President Trump’s Executive Orders on immigration last month, there has been much talk in Canada of the Safe Third Country Ag...
Media and Presentations
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Paper and Presentation – Redefining Citizenship: Major Changes and Issues of Note under the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act (SCCA), Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, Annual Immigration Issues Conference, December 2015.
- Co-Panelist – Tran v. MPSEP: Criminal inadmissibility and administrative review, Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers Conference, October 2016.
- Co-Panelist/Presenter – Provincial and Federal Judicial Remedies, 24th Annual Immigration Law Summit, Law Society of Upper Canada, November 2016.
- Paper and Presentation – “Crimmigration”, Issues of Note in the Intersection of Criminal and Immigration Law, CBA National Conference, June 2017.
- Presentation – Criminal Inadmissibility – Issues of Interest, Ottawa Immigration Law Conference, May 2018.
- Panelist and Presentation – Detention Toolkit and Best Practices, Immigration Detention Symposium, David Asper Centre for Constitutional Rights, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto, March 2019.
- Paper and Presentation – The Panacea: TRPs and Completion of Sentence following Bill C-46, CBA National Conference, Winnipeg, May 2019.
- Paper and Presentation – Navigating Challenges and Procedures: Misrepresentation at the Port of Entry, 27th Annual Immigration Law Summit, Law Society of Ontario, November 2019.