As of today, October 11th, 2017, the long awaited changes to the Citizenship Act will be effective.
Here are the key changes that were made to the Citizenship Act:
- Applicants need only be physically present in Canada for 3 of 5 years before applying for citizenship;
- Applicants must file Canadian income taxes for at least 3 of the 5 years that they reside in Canada;
- Applicants may count each day they were physically resident in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident as a half-day toward meeting the physical presence, up to maximum credit of 365 days; and
- Only applicants between 19 and 54 must meet the language and knowledge requirements for citizenship.
Here are 10 amazing reasons why you should apply for Canadian citizenship:
- You don’t need to renew your PR card
- There are no residency requirements to stay a citizen
- You can travel easily
- You can continue getting social benefits
- You may have more job opportunities
- Your children will be Canadian
- You can get more involved in politics
- You can vote
- You cannot be deported
- You can get consular support
October 9-15, 2017 is Citizenship Week in Canada where Canadians reflect on and celebrate the rights and responsibilities that all Canadians share. In the past 10 years, Canada has welcomed over 1,750,000 proud new Canadians!
If you have any questions regarding your eligibility for Canadian citizenship, please contact us.