April 28, 2017- On May 3, 2017, various long awaited amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations will be published. It is expected that the federal government will provide additional information regarding the following changes to the Regulations:
- The elimination of the requirement for spouses or partners to cohabit with their sponsor for two years. The removal of this condition will be effective as of April 18th, 2017;
- The age of dependent children will include young adult children between 19 and 21 years of ages and a transitional provision will deal with a dependent child who made an application as a principal applicant for a permanent resident visa as a member of a family class on or before July 31, 2014. This amendment is expected to come into force in the fall of 2017; and
- As of May 1, 2017, foreign nationals from Brazil, Bulgaria and Romania will be able to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization for travel to Canada by air if they meet any of the following conditions:
- Have held a Canadian temporary resident visa at any time during the last 10 years prior to their application;
- At the time of their application, hold a valid U.S. non-immigrant visa.
For additional information, please contact us or be sure to check our website
for a May 3rd update.