Back to Top skip to main content
Green and Spiegel - An Immigration Law Firm
Apr 28, 2016

Electronic Travel Authorizations will be Required Starting ​November 10th, 2016

Featuring: Evan J. Green, Esther Dressler, Eren Sari, Ellie Slavens, Shoshana T. Green, Cristina Guida, Hilete Stein, Ravi Jain, Stephen W. Green and Valerie Kleinman

Starting ​November 10th, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens and Canadian permanent residents, with valid Permanent Resident cards, need not apply for an eTA. People who have an expired Permanent Resident card or one that is expiring within the next nine months, should apply for a new PR card as soon as possible to avoid issues with travel plans.

Until November 9, 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents. During this leniency period, border services officers will permit travellers arriving without an eTA into Canada as long as they meet the other requirements to entering the country.

Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed.  For more information, please visit the CIC website or contact us directly.

More Recent News

Oct 28, 2020

Update on International students seeking to enter Canada

On October 21, 2020, the Canadian government released several updates on travel exemptions that have major implications for international students...

Oct 22, 2020

Alberta Pilot Program to Lessen Quarantine Requirement

  Canada is set to begin a pilot program to significantly shorten the quarantine period for travellers who fly or drive into the country. Th...

Oct 14, 2020


Today, the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced an all program Express Entry draw encompassing candida...