Jul 7, 2020
Global Entry Enrollment Reopening Postponed Until at Least August 10, 2020
Joshua H. Rolf and Jonathan A. Grode
- The Global Entry Program has been closed since March 19th due to COVID-19.
- Its reopening has been postponed until at least August 10th, 2020.
- Because of the continued closure applicants have 485 days from their conditional approval to complete the enrollment application.
- Those who scheduled interviews in July and early August must reschedule their appointments.
- The Enrollment on Arrival program remains operational.
- Residents of New York State are still ineligible for Global Entry and other Trusted Traveler Programs.
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) recently announced that they would be re-instating the Global Entry Program starting on July 6, 2020. However, due to a recent rise in COVID-19 cases, the CBP announced on July 1st that it has postponed the reopening until at least August 10, 2020. All applicants who scheduled an interview for July through early August must reschedule their appointments on or after August 10 using the online scheduling tool. Due to the continued closure, applicants now have 485 days from their conditional approval to complete the enrollment application. Residents of New York State remain ineligible for Global Entry and other Trusted Traveler Programs as of February 2020.
CBP’s Enrollment on Arrival program remains operational and is the best option for conditionally approved applicants to complete the enrollment process without an interview at an enrollment center. Upon arrival in the United States (so long as their transit to the United States is permitted), applicants must speak with a CBP officer who can complete the interview during the inspection process. The following documents are required:
- A valid passport.
- Documents providing evidence of residency such as: a driver’s license, mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bills etc. (this is not required for minors).
- A permanent resident card (if applicable).
Global Entry is a CBP program that allows expedited clearance for international travelers to re-enter the United States through automatic kiosks at airports. U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents (with the exception of New York State residents), and citizens of the following countries are eligible for membership. Canadian citizens and residents are eligible for Global Entry through membership in the NEXUS program. Upon being conditionally approved an in-person background screening and interview is typically scheduled at an enrollment center. Benefits for travelers arriving at a U.S. Port of Entry include filling out a customs declaration form at a Global Entry kiosk, no in-person inspection, and TSA Pre-check benefits with expedited security at checkpoints.
We hope to soon see the return of the Global Entry program with safety restrictions in place. However, in the interim should you have any questions in regards to the program, how it has been impacted by Covid-19, and how to maneuver your current options during this time, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Office.