An agreement between the Government of Quebec and the Government of Canada allows for a simplified application process for applications for a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) and a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). This simplified procedure expedites the processing of applications dealing with occupations where there are labour market shortages. The CAQ and LMO applications are both submitted to the Government of Quebec and the LMO application is exempt from the usual advertising requirements. The list of occupations that fall within the simplified process has recently changed to reflect current labour market needs. As of February 24, 2013, the following additional occupations will now be eligible for simplified processing:
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
- Restaurant and Food Service Managers
- Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management
- Mechanical Engineers
- Computer Engineers (Except Software Engineers and Designers)
- Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Technologists and Technicians
- Computer Network Technicians
- Graphic Designers and Illustrators
- Underground Production and Development Miners
The following occupations will no longer be eligible for simplified processing after the 30-day transition period:
- Human Resources Managers
- Retail Trade Managers
- Medical Secretaries
- User Support Technicians
- Systems Testing Technicians
- Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters
- Retail Trade Supervisors
A full list of the occupations eligible for the simplified process is available in French here.
The list is subject to change.
For additional information, please contact Green and Spiegel LLP.