As announced in May 2013, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will be re-opening the parental sponsorship program in January 2014. The new parent and grandparent sponsorship requirements are now available on the CIC website. Starting January 2014, all applications must follow the new requirements. Applications will be accepted as of January 2, 2014.
CIC has also made changes to the eligibility and sponsor requirements, including:
- A limit of 5,000 applications will be accepted in 2014
- Sponsors must demonstrate that they earn 30% more than the low-income cut off
- The sponsor must have met the minimum necessary income for the last three tax years preceding the application
- Only official Canada Revenue Agency documents will be accepted as proof of income
- The sponsorship undertaking will increase from 10 to 20 years
For more information please contact Green and Spiegel LLP.