Press Room

Germany, Australia International Experience Programs Opening Soon

March 2, 2015 – Citizenship and Immigration Canada has announced the opening of the following country-specific programs in the International Experience Canada program.
March 3, 2015 at 10am (EST)
  • Young Professionals
  • International Internships
March 3, 2015 at 5pm (EST)
  • Working Holiday
  • Young Professionals

About the Program

International Experience Canada (IEC) is the result of reciprocal agreements with 32 countries around the world.  The program permits young foreign nationals to come to Canada to work and travel. As part of these agreements, Canadian youth are afforded an opportunity to work and travel abroad.

The IEC program has three categories: Working Holiday, Young Professionals, and International Internships.

Applicants for all three IEC programs are required to pay a $150 program participation fee. Working Holiday applicants must pay an additional fee of $100 to obtain an open work permit.  Open work permits allow a foreign national to work for any employer in Canada.

Each country and category is subject to certain financial requirements, age requirements as well as quotas. For country-specific program information, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada IEC website. Please be advised that while the IEC officially opened on February 24, 2015, some country and category quotas may not yet be open for 2015. Please check back regularly.

Information for Employers

The IEC program can provide a valuable experience for both young foreign nationals as well as employers. Employers are permitted to actively recruit candidates for all three IEC programs without a requirement to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment. Employers should be advised that because foreign nationals in the Young Professional and International Co-Op Internship categories receive employer-specific work permits, they are subject to the new $230 employer compliance fee.  This fee must be remitted to Citizenship and Immigration Canada before young foreign nationals can apply for their work permit.

For further information about the IEC program, or to discuss making an application, please contact Green and Spiegel LLP.