Press Room

Are You a Performing Artist Travelling to Canada? You May Be Exempt From Work Permit Requirements

July 10, 2014 – As of June 20, 2014 many performing artists travelling to Canada to perform in bars and restaurants will no longer require a work permit.  Per Operational Bulletin (OB 580), artists entering Canada to perform time-limited engagements at venues whose primary purpose is the sale of food and drinks will be exempted from work permit requirements.  This exemption does not apply to artists entering Canada to perform for the purposes of radio, television andd film broadcast or for artists who are in an employment relationship with the contracting venue or organization.

Applications by artists and venues for work permits submitted before June 20th, 2014 will be processed per the former regulation.  Applications submitted on-or-after June 20th, 2014 will be offered the benefit of the exemption.

The full Operational Bulletin can be found here.  Should you have any questions about OB 580 and how it affects you, please do not hesitate to contact Green and Spiegel LLP.