U.S. Immigration: Temporary and Permanent Status

J Exchange Visitor Status

This broad category is used by a wide variety of non-immigrants including students, scholars, trainees, teachers, professors, research scholars and assistants, au pairs and international or government visitors. These individuals come to the United States temporarily for the purpose of travel, observation, consultation, research, training, or to participate in an organized program.  The grants of status can be from six months up to three years.

The programs require a sponsoring umbrella group, which is authorized by the U.S. government to grant J-1 status.  These umbrella groups coordinate with potential employer/sponsors in the U.S. for issuance of J-1 status.  If the company does not have an established training program or history or J-1 sponsorship, the umbrella group may be obligated to conduct a site visit to confirm eligibility.  J-1 status, in certain circumstances, can obligate the individual to return to their home country for a full two years, if the training received can be utilized in the applicant’s home country.

For further details about J-1 classification, please contact us for a consultation.