Do you travel a lot? Are you tired of waiting in long lines for security screening? How about long waits when crossing the border? If so, a Nexus pass might be right for you.
Nexus is a simplified pre-approval program designed for low-risk travelers and is jointly administered by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and the United States Customs and Border Protection (US CBP).
The program gives pre-approved travelers expedited processing through designated airports and land border crossings between the United States and Canada. Benefits include:
- A self-serve kiosk to clear customs and immigration when entering Canada or the United States
- Express clearance through “trusted traveler” Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) screening lines at Canada’s eight major airports and select mid-sized airports
- Express clearance through US Transportation and Security Administration (TSA) PreCheck lines at 27 US airports
- Fast and simple entry through dedicated lanes at designated land border crossings between Canada and the United States
In order to qualify for the program travelers must:
- Comply with admissions requirements for both countries
- Have no criminal record
- Have no violations of customs or immigration law
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or a citizen or resident alien of the United States
- Have lived in Canada or the United States for the past three consecutive years (some exemptions are available to this requirement)
The process starts with a simple application, which can be completed and submitted online or printed and mailed to a processing center. After security screening and a criminal background check by both US and Canadian authorities, applicants are then invited to an interview in order to complete the process. The interview takes place at the nearest airport and is conducted with a representative of both the CBSA and the US CBP. During the interview you will be asked questions about your application and the documents you provided will be reviewed. If successful, the interviewing officer will explain the program to you and take a digital photograph of you for your Nexus pass. In addition, a digital scan of your irises will be taken in order to verify your identity at self-serve kiosks.
It’s that simple. There is a non-refundable $50 fee to apply and your Nexus pass is valid for 5 years.
If you travel a lot, or even just a little, the investment of $50 and a single trip to the airport can pay dividends in saved time and stress over the lifetime of your nexus pass. Start the application here.